Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Our Narrow little Country

Last week I took Sara to gan. It was an absolutely beautiful day out, sort of like a warm Toronto fall day in September. I dropped her off at gan which is at the top of the yishuv. I had to drop by the Frankls so I headed over the hill (on foot of course). When I came to the western edge of the top of the yishuv I looked out as I always do because no matter what there is always a beautiful view to see! My mouth dropped open, I was looking at the mediterranean sea. I looked a little north and there clear as a button I could see Tel Aviv, then Ashdod, then Ashkelon and even further south I could see Gaza city in the distance. Wow, I looked up and down the coast, it felt like I was looking at a map. This is it, this is what they all talk about "on a clear day you can see the sea" , well I could and it was unbelievable! I went to the Frankls and we looked out together.



I rushed home to see what was visible on the other side of the yishuv, looking towards the dead sea and Jordan. I came over the top and I was looking at the absolutely spectacular mountain ranges of Moav or present day Jordan. I could see everything so clearly. I could see where the elevation dipped down to the dead sea and I am sure that if I was up by the shul I would be able to see the dead sea. wow, wow , wow ! Darrell was in Tel Aviv and I wished he could see this.


You know when you are on a tiyul in israel and you are out in the middle of nowhere and it feels like space goes on forever and is so vast! Well, I think that is one of the many miracles of this place....that a space so small at times can feel so big. I stood in my yishuv and felt that if I closed my eyes and stretched my arms out on each side I could reach the med and Jordan simultaneously! I could see all the way to Gaza! Jews used to live there! How small can you cut up a pie and still have a pie?

p.s. I have put in pictures, but you should know that they don't do justice to the actual view....you will all just have to come and see yourselves. Try clicking on each picture to get a better view. In the first picture you can see houses being built, the first building left side is Shauna and Jerry Tepperman's house and the second building left side is our new home in the making! In that picture you are looking at Tel Aviv and in the second picture you are looking just a little more south at Ashdod/Ashkelon. The third picture is of the view to Jordan and you really cannot appreciate the actual view in this one but try anyways.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for sending an up to dte picture of our house. It is great to see the slow but sure progress!!
Shauna

4:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home